Customer Service

What types of services are available from Facilities Services? From Utilities & Energy Services (UES)?

SSC Facilities Services provides the following:

  • Maintenance
  • Custodial
  • Grounds
  • Construction (EDCS)

Utilities & Energy Services provides the following:

  • Utility Services (meter hookups, locates, leak repair, solid waste & recycling)Energy Services (hot/cold calls, HVAC scheduling, building automation)
  • Energy Stewardship (energy/water conservation & efficiency improvement)

How do I request service?

Service is requested through AggieWorks, an online work request system. Requests submitted through AggieWorks are reviewed by staff members and assigned to the appropriate departments  in Facilities Services and/or Utilities & Energy Services (UES).

If your request is a fire, police or health emergency, please dial 911 (9-911 from a campus phone).

If your request requires an immediate response, please call the Communications Center at 979-845-4311. Examples of Facilities Services and Utilities & Energy Services requests that require immediate attention are: electrical failure or malfunction, gas leaks, glass replacement affecting safety or security, excessive hot/cold conditions, plumbing leaks or floods, roof leaks, or door/lock malfunctions affecting safety or security.

How do I log into AggieWorks?

AggieWorks uses TAMU Central Authentication Service (CAS). You will need to have a TAMU NetID and password to submit a request. For more information about obtaining a NetID, contact the Aggie Account Gateway.


What is the expected turnaround time for service requests?

Turnaround time for service requests can vary widely depending upon the nature of the request and the current workload within the responsible Facilities Services or UES department. Situations that require an immediate response such as an overflowing toilet or a problem that could affect the safety or health of building occupants are handled the same day they are reported. Routine requests may take several days or weeks and are prioritized on the degree of severity. There is an option on the AggieWorks request to notify the AggieWorks Center of the priority of your request and any deadlines that may apply to completion of the work.

How do I check on the status of work orders, estimates, job scheduling, billing, etc?

The status of a work request can be tracked on AggieWorks by clicking on the TRACK tab.  If you need more information, you may contact the AggieWorks Center at or 979-458-5500. The AggieWorks Center staff will research your question and respond.

What are the AggieWorks Center office hours?

The AggieWorks Center is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, although maintenance staff work different hours depending upon the need.  If the situation requires an immediate response, e.g., overflow, leak, lack of cooling/heating, or power, etc., please call the Communications Center at 979-845-4311.  If the request is routine, submit a request through AggieWorks and it will be reviewed the next business day.

What is considered a situation requiring an immediate response?

If your request requires an immediate response, please call the Communications Center at 979-845-4311. Examples of Facilities Services and Utilities & Energy Services requests that require immediate attention are: electrical failure or malfunction, gas leaks, glass replacement affecting safety or security, excessive hot/cold conditions, plumbing leaks or floods, roof leaks, or door/lock malfunctions affecting safety or security.

I’m confused. Who can I call?

The AggieWorks Center phone number is 979-458-5500. They will be glad to assist you during regular business hours (Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). After regular business hours and on weekends, you may call the Communications Center at 979-845-4311.

Main office numbers:

Custodial Services 979-845-3615

EDCS 979-845-5317

Grounds 979-458-5533

For Maintenance, you can reference the Resources Tab and look under Maintenance Zones for contact numbers.

Why does the AggieWorks Center ask for so much detail about my request?

The AggieWorks Center needs to obtain as much information as possible to pass onto the personnel responding to the request. There are many different service personnel with various areas of expertise. The more information we can provide to them, the more efficiently we can respond.

Are personnel available to respond at any time?

Maintenance personnel are typically on campus from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Communications Center is staffed 24/7, 365 days a year and will contact on-call personnel for any situations that require an immediate response. Other requests submitted after business hours to the Communications Center will be reviewed the following business day by the AggieWorks Center staff.

Maintenance Services

Who do I contact if there is a problem with heat, air conditioning, leaks, lights out, etc.?

If you see something that needs repair in a university building, we’re here to help. Facilities Services and UES services include the following:

·         Repair lighting and other electrical systems

·         Repair cooling and heating systems to provide comfortable environment

·         Maintain and repair water distribution systems that serve plumbing fixtures and heating/cooling systems

·         Maintain and repair building pumps, fans, motors, filters and fan belts

·         Repair doors, windows, roofs, and building exteriors

·         Repair and paint walls and replace flooring

·         Test, inspect and maintain building fire alarms and sprinkler systems

You may also submit a request for:

·         Leaks – either inside or outside

·         Lights that are out – either inside or outside

·         Broken or malfunctioning windows or window blinds

·         Broken classroom clocks, podiums, desks, chairs

·         Disability access/ADA compliance

·         Graffiti

·         Keyboard trays

·         Landscaping or irrigation

·         Access control including locks, keys and automated access

·         Malfunctioning elevators

·         Malfunctioning electrical outlets, missing outlet covers

·         Masonry problems (sidewalks, paving)

·         Noisy or squeaky ventilation

·         Pest sightings and control

·         Recycling pickup

·         Signage, including office sign inserts

·         Spills and stains requiring cleaning

When you submit a request through AggieWorks you will be asked to provide information about the nature of the request, location, and any additional information that will assist the AggieWorks Center in expediting your request.

Who maintains the temperature in my building?

Utilities and Energy Services (UES) operates and maintains an extensive building automation system (BAS) that regulates and controls cooling, heating and lighting in over 19 million gross square feet. The BAS has been installed in most buildings on campus and utilizes both the Direct Digital Control (DDC) and pneumatic control systems. The DDC system gives technicians the ability to remotely ‘see’ conditions in your building and make adjustments, whereas the pneumatic system usually requires a technician visiting your work area. Regardless of type, UES can help solve any temperature issue you may have. To report a temperature problem, please submit a request through AggieWorks.

What is an acceptable temperature for cooling? For heating? How do I adjust the temperature in my work area?

The temperature standard for cooling is 75 Fahrenheit (during occupied times) and 85 Fahrenheit (unoccupied). The temperature standard for heating is 70 Fahrenheit (occupied) and 60 Fahrenheit (unoccupied). Target temperatures are +/- 2 F. Some thermostats can be adjusted, but should be maintained within the target range.  If your space is uncomfortably hot or cold, please submit a request through AggieWorks.

How do I request a temperature change in my work area?

You may submit a request through AggieWorks.

How do I get my work area painted?

Requests for interior painting are prioritized on a “worst case first” basis, due to limited resources. Painting requests for a color change or minor flaws must be accompanied by an account number to pay for the effort.

I noticed a light bulb burned out (or flickering) in the corridor of my building. How do I get it replaced?

Submit a request through AggieWorks.

Energy Stewardship

How do I report a problem I see with inefficient use of energy or water – such as excessive cooling or heating, unnecessary lights left on, fume hoods left open, unneeded equipment left on, water leaks, or to make recommendations to improve energy stewardship and sustainability?

Please report unnecessary or wasteful use of energy, water, or other natural resources with a work request to the AggieWorks Center during regular work hours and to the Communication Center after regular hours.

Custodial Services

What are considered routine cleaning tasks?

Custodial tasks include floor cleaning, vacuuming, emptying trash, restroom disinfecting and restocking, dusting, white board and chalkboard cleaning, inside entry glass, etc, and all tasks are completed on a specific schedule

How do I request additional or special custodial services?

Submit a request through the AggieWorks request system with an account number for funding.

Whom do I contact if I have a question about routine cleaning?

If you have any cleaning issues or questions about Custodial Services, please call the main Custodial office at 845-3615 or you may contact the specific Custodial Supervisor for your facility. You may locate the contact by Building name here.

Does custodial services clean windows?

Custodial services will clean interior windows on first at a reachable height. . If you have a request for window cleaning, please submit it through Aggieworks. If Custodial Services is unable to perform the work in-house, someone will assist you with contracting with an outside service.

If I am having a special event, can I get custodial services?

Requests for custodial services to support an event may be submitted through Aggieworks. Please allow at least two (2) weeks notice for adequate scheduling and billing.

Who do I call for additional walk-off mats?

If additional mats are needed, you may submit a request through Aggieworks.  There may be an additional charge for these mats.

I would like to have my office area, bookshelves, filing cabinets and window sills dusted. Do the custodians do that?

Custodial staff members are instructed NOT to move personal items and effects on work surfaces and adjacent areas. Many such items have tremendous sentimental if not monetary value, and may even be irreplaceable. Despite the best care and attention, accidents can and do happen. If you would like work surfaces dusted, please contact the specific Custodial Supervisor for your facility to schedule the work. You may locate the contact by Building name here.

Grounds Management

Who do I contact regarding an after-hours emergency (such as main line broken, tree in street, etc.)?

SSC Communications Center: 979-845-4311

Why can’t we reuse annual flowers instead of disposing of them?

Annual flowers do not transplant easily and they are meant to last just a short period of time.

How many times per year are the annual flowers replaced?

Generally speaking, 3.5 times per year.

How often should the lawn around my building get mowed?

On the Grounds Management page, there is a map attached which indicates mowing frequency.

Who determines the mowing frequency?

It was determined by Texas A&M University.

How often are the weeds pulled at my building?

The same map that determines mowing frequency also indicates gardening frequency. This map can be found on the Grounds Management page of this website.

How do I report a problem with landscaping?

Please submit a work request via the AggieWorks website:

Why is the campus irrigation so wasteful and inefficient?

The University, Weathermatic, and  SSC Grounds Management collaborated to upgrade all of the irrigation controller assemblies on campus to a modern cloud-based, central control system that utilizes Evapotransporation, Crop Coefficients, soil type, and grade to properly manage the irrigation timing.  Also each controller site has it’s own weatherstation, master valve, and flow sensor to both aid in determining proper water needs and efficiently determine water waste from broken heads, etc.




Who is responsible to replace the dead plants around my building?

Grounds works with the university to identify areas where plants need to be replaced. Oftentimes, however, it is the responsibility of the building to fund landscape plant replacements.

My student group is interested in an “Adopt a Flowerbed” project. Who do I contact?

Grounds is delighted to assist student groups with various projects and have strong relationships across campus to navigate the approval process. To begin the process of adopting a flowerbed, please submit a work request via our AggieWorks website: and reference “Adopt a Flowerbed” in the description.

I am a student with a major in an agriculture or environmental science – related program. Who do I speak to about student employment or formal internships?

Grounds is absolutely delighted to provide both employment and/or internship opportunities!  We always have opportunities for students seeking either.  For more information, please contact the Grounds Department.

Pest Control

How do I report a problem with pests such as ants, bees, etc.?

Submit a request through AggieWorks. However, if the situation is an urgent safety issue, contact the Communications Center at 979-845-4311

How do I report a trapped or injured animal?

Please contact the Communications Center at 979-845-4311.

How do I report a dead animal?

Please contact the Communications Center at 979-845-4311.

How do I report a bat?

Bats are considered a high-rabies risk species and should never be touched. If you find a living or dead bat in a building or a live bat outside that cannot fly, contact the Communications Center at 979-845-4311.

What pest control services are provided to my building at no charge?

Spot treatments (a specific pest in a specific location) are covered in Education and Government (E&G) buildings.

Engineering, Design, and Construction Services

How do I request funding for a Deferred Maintenance project?

All requests must be submitted to the TAMU Facilities and Dining Administration office, (email:, for consideration by the Texas A&M Council for the Built Environment Maintenance Review Sub-Council.

How do I request renovation or construction work?

Submit a customer request through AggieWorks including specific information about the project (such as construction of new walls, renovation of an existing lab, or replacement of equipment) along with the timeframe. This will assist in directing the customer request.

What happens after I submit a customer request to AggieWorks?

After a customer request is received, it is assigned a Customer Request (CR) number. This number will be emailed to you along with a confirmation of receipt. Depending on the information provided, your request may then be directed to Maintenance with a Work Order (WO) Number or directed to Engineering, Design, and Construction Services (EDCS) and assigned a Project Number. You may access information pertaining to CR and WO numbers through the AggieWorks website. Information, approvals, and documentations pertaining to EDCS projects will be available through the web-based program e-Builder. Requests handled by Texas A&M departments such as Utilities and Energy Services will be routed to their work order system.

What is e-Builder?

E-Builder is the cloud-based project management software used by the Engineering, Design, and Construction Services Department for management of Texas A&M projects.

How do I get access to e-Builder?

The assigned project manager will be contacting you based on the information provided in the AggieWorks Customer Request to verify your contact information. Upon creation of your account, an email will be sent with your user name and temporary password. You may change your password upon logging in.

Other people in my department need to see the information for my construction or renovation project. Can additional usernames be created in e-Builder?

Absolutely. Contact your project manager with the names and preferred email for each stakeholder. Multiple stakeholders from your department or building may be added to your project. However, due to software restrictions, only one user may be set up in the client role to approve budgets.

Who do I contact for Architectural Designs?

Submit a customer request to AggieWorks and please include in the description “Attn: EDCS”.

Who do I contact for Interior Design projects?

Submit a customer request to AggieWorks and please include in the description “Attn: EDCS”.

Who do I contact regarding Landscape Architecture?

Submit a customer request to AggieWorks and please include in the description “Attn: EDCS” or “Attn: Grounds” depending on the size of the project.

My construction/renovation project requires CBE approval. Will my project manager handle this?

All projects requiring approval or review from Texas A&M’s Council for the Built Environment should be submitted by the department or division requesting the work. The project manager will assist the customer in preparing information for presentation to CBE and may attend CBE or CBE Sub-Council meetings upon request.

What size projects does Engineering, Design, and Construction Services handle?

EDCS works on projects from $5,000 up to $10,000,000 and projects from $10 million up with special approval from The Board of Regents of The Texas A&M University System.

I have a construction/renovation project that I would like to speak with someone about, but I have no idea how much it will cost. Who can help me with that?

Submit a customer request to AggieWorks and please include in the description “Attn: EDCS-Estimate Only”.
For initial information regarding larger projects, the state average for square foot construction costs are available in the Finance and Resource Planning section of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s website  (

Will my project require an architect or engineer?

Texas law requires engaging an architect and/or engineer based on project costs and building type. Contact Jeff Heye of the Engineering Design and Construction Services (EDCS) department for further details.

I have a project to replace carpet, but my project manager mentioned my building is not TAS-compliant. What’s going on?

On March 15, 2012 the 2012 Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS) took effect. With this update, the definition of “Alteration” was expanded to including resurfacing of the circulation path. Depending on the size and location of your project, a flooring replacement may necessitate accessibility upgrades in other parts of the building. Speak with your project manager early about how TAS requirements might impact your project.

What is the difference between Maintenance and Construction/Renovation?

Generally, maintenance is defined as the routine upkeep of existing property, facilities or building components to keep them in good operational condition. Facilities Services performs planned, preventive and deferred maintenance. Maintenance can include but is not limited to upkeep of: flooring, wall finishes, doors and door hardware, drinking fountains, restroom components, HVAC and electrical outlets, lights, windows, roofs, etc. Facilities Services also performs custodial and landscape maintenance.

Construction/Renovation includes new building construction or a major repair, reconstruction, remodel, rehabilitation, restoration or alteration of an existing facility.

Contact the AggieWorks Center at if you have questions regarding your project and classification of the work.

Can a department hire their own contractor to perform construction/renovation work?

No, departments are not authorized to accomplish construction, renovation and/or rehabilitation work per: TAMU University Rules 25.07.99.M2, President’s Delegation of Authority for Contract Administration; and 51.04.01.M1, Delegation of Authority on Construction Projects

Why can’t I paint my own office?

Departments are not authorized to accomplish construction, renovation and rehabilitation work per TAMU University Rules 25.07.99.M2, President’s Delegation of Authority for Contract Administration and 51.04.01.M1, Delegation of Authority on Construction Projects


Facilities Services can simplify the process for you through the use of in-house painters or contract painters to ensure the least disruption to your University business functions and to protect the health and safety of building occupants. Facilities Services personnel will coordinate any required asbestos and lead inspections, ensure substrates are properly prepared/primed and also ensure the proper paints and coatings specified for use comply with current indoor air quality regulations.

How is a construction or renovation project initiated, and how do I get an estimate to do a project?

  1. Submit a request through AggieWorks with a general description of the desired project and a schedule. An account number is required on the website. You will not be charged for preliminary scope development and cost estimates. A Facilities Services Project Manager will be assigned to help you with understanding policies and procedures. Our process is designed to be flexible and we will strive to meet your budget and schedule requirements.


  1. After your request is received by the AggieWorks Center, a Facilities Services Project Manager is assigned to the project. They will (1) meet with you, (2) discuss the Scope of Work, (3) walk the site, and (4) coordinate with you and others to gather all technical information required to develop an estimate based on the preliminary Scope of Work. Note that for larger more complex projects it may not be possible to provide a free estimate; consultants may need to be engaged to produce an estimate.


  1. A written cost estimate will be prepared by your assigned Facilities Services Project Manager and routed to you for departmental review. Your Project Manager will also meet with you to discuss specific aspects of the cost estimate. Please note the estimate does not represent a fixed quote or guaranteed cost and actual charges may be more or less than this estimate. If you decide to follow through with design and construction you will only be charged for the actual material used and the actual labor performed plus a Facilities Services administrative fee.


  1. Should you decide to proceed with the project, inform the project manager who prepared the cost estimate.

What information do I need to provide for a construction/renovation project?

Your Facilities Services Project Manager will assist you during the design process to compile the myriad of information needed to ensure a successful construction/renovation project. Initially you should provide general project information indicating the desired scope of the project, desired schedule, funding and the point of contact for your department.


Some of the more common project information that may be required during development of the construction drawings and specifications is listed below. This list is not all inclusive, and is presented to assist you with gathering information that may be required depending on the specific nature of your project.


  • Council for the Built Environment approval (if required; provide link to CBE website)
  • Schedule and budget constraints
  • Descriptions of functions or activities of each work center (hours of operation, shifts per day, days per week, number of people per shift, number of people per classroom, office areas and laboratories, etc.).
  • Chemical Lists. List process services or chemicals used in your operations (e.g., vacuum systems, compressed air, nitrogen, de-ionized water, liquid oxygen, etc.). Include special air quality, temperature, pressure and flow rate requirements (if known).
  • Fume Hood Requirements
  • Electrical, plumbing and HVAC requirements for departmental equipment (manufacturers descriptive data)
  • Hazardous waste generated; solid, liquid or gas.
  • Special accreditation requirements (e.g. AAALAC)
  • Requirements for special controlled environments and special/level of security needs for these areas (e.g. vaults, biological safety level laboratories, fuel laboratories, etc.).
  • Identify areas requiring special shielding (e.g., radiation, x-ray, laser, magnetic fields, etc.).
  • Special acoustic performance requirements.
  • Vibration isolation requirements for each specific area and piece of equipment.
  • Unusual floor loads (e.g. heavy equipment, library and file storage areas, forklift areas, safes, vaults, etc.).
  • Clear span and height requirements.
  • Special thermal performance requirements for temperature and relative humidity (average and tolerance range) for each area. State whether centralized or decentralized control is required.
  • Special air quality requirements, in terms of ventilation rate, overpressure, or maximum particulates.
  • Special air filtration, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning requirements. Provide equipment loads (heat rejection rate) that will impact air conditioning requirements and known ventilation or exhaust rates for specialized equipment.
  • Special lighting performance requirements and any special electrical system needs like explosion proof fixtures, or unusual mounting height requirements.
  • Earth grounds, dedicated equipment ground requirements, and acceptable resistance to ground.
  • Special receptacle requirements (e.g., types, quantities, locations) include description; NEMA type and manufacturers model number.
  • Special power requirements.
  • Special task lighting requirements.
  • Special lightning, surge and static electricity requirements.

How do I check on the status of a construction/renovation project?

Your project will be assigned a Project Manager that you may contact.  Additionally, the client and stakeholders will have access to the project information through the project management software, e-Builder.

Why does a construction or renovation project at the University seem to cost more than one in the private sector?

Sometimes individuals make a comparison with costs they have experienced in their own homes or private “non-institutional” construction. Construction and renovation in State owned public facilities may cost more depending on the projects scope and requirements. The projects scope and requirements many times “trigger” an array of Federal and State codes, regulations, standards and statutory requirements that govern construction on campus.


Typically when off-campus contractor pricing is compared to Facility Services pricing there are three major factors that can make off-campus pricing seem artificially low. (1) Contractors invited to do work on state property must meet minimum requirements for insurance and bonds (depending on the projects construction cost) and pay their workers mandated prevailing wage rates. (2) Many times the scope of work used in the comparison is not equal. An example can include the requirement for institutional grade building materials (that usually must last for decades) in lieu of residential or commercial grade materials. (3) Requirements to meet life safety/building codes and accessibility laws mandated for State owned public facilities. Other factors that tend to escalate contractor costs for work on campus include: restrictions on which days (or hours) work can be accomplished; phasing requirements, compressed construction schedules, limited space for staging and vehicular access to job sites and additional protection measures to provide a safe environment for the students, faculty and staff.


Do not hesitate to call the Facilities Services Project Manager who prepared the estimate to discuss your concerns. We are committed to identifying low cost and effective solutions for construction and renovation projects.


Listed below are a few regulations, guidelines and laws that influence the cost of construction on campus:

  • NFPA 101, Life Safety Code (National Fire Protection Association) – Means of egress, fire barriers, interior finish, exit lighting. (Texas Administrative Code, Title 28, Chapter 34)


  • IBC (International Building Code; International Code Council) – Minimum building code requirements.


  • State Energy Conservation Office (SECO) and ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers) – State Energy Conservation Design Standard (ASHRAE 90.1), air changes and fresh air requirements.


  • The State requires any public construction project estimated to exceed $8,000, and involves electrical or mechanical engineering, to be designed by a Texas Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.). A P.E. is also required when public money is involved but electrical or mechanical engineering is not required and the contemplated expenditure for the project exceeds $20,000. Also included are other buildings having more than one story, buildings that contain a clear span between supporting structures greater than 24 feet on the narrow side; and single story buildings having a total floor area over 5,000 square feet. A P.E. must also provide construction observation. (Reference the Texas Engineering Practice Act).


  • The State requires any public project used for education, assembly or office occupancy exceeding $100,000 for new construction or $50,000 for renovation (that alters or adds to an existing state owned building and involves removal, relocation, or addition of a wall or partition or the alteration or addition of an exit) be designed by an Architect licensed in the State of Texas. The architect must also provide construction observation. (refer to Texas Administrative Code, Title 22, Part 1, Chapter 1)


  • All construction, renovations or modifications, in whole or in part, to any state-owned facility are subject to compliance with the Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS). Projects estimated to cost $50,000 or more are also required to have plans and specifications submitted to the State for review and a post construction inspection to ensure compliance must be performed by a State licensed Registered Accessibility Specialist (R.A.S.)

What is the difference between Facilities Services and Facilities Planning & Construction?

Facilities Services maintains facilities on the Texas A&M University Campus in College Station, Texas, the RELLIS Campus in Bryan, Texas. Facilities Services also manages design and construction of new construction and renovation projects with a budget less than ten million dollars. Additionally, Facilities Services provides custodial, landscape, and maintenance services for the Texas A&M University Campus and RELLIS Campus.


The Facilities Planning and Construction Department is a Texas A&M University System Office and manages design and construction of new construction and renovation projects for eleven universities, seven state agencies and one Health Science Center in the Texas A&M University System. Generally these are Capital projects with budgets greater than ten million dollars.

Financial Services

What are the rates for Facilities Services and UES?

Shop rates are the rates charged for billable time and may be found here. Most UES services for basic responses are included in the utility commodity rates that are billed directly to customers. The hourly shop rates are only charged for billable work.

How do I get a copy of my invoice?

Monthly invoices are available by clicking on the Reports tab on Aggieworks. Please note you will need Reporting access to view the reports.

How do I get access to view the reports?

University employees with FAMIS access are automatically granted the ability to view the reports.

When will the monthly billing for my department be available on Aggieworks?

Monthly invoices are available the first business day after the billing cycle. Billing cycles for the fiscal year may be found here.

How do I change the account number for a work order?

If charges have been billed for a work order, the department will need to contact FMO to reallocate the charges to a different account number.

What is the difference between ‘Maintenance’ and ‘Chargeable’ work?

Routine maintenance service is provided to most campus buildings at no cost to the building users. On-going maintenance is defined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board as “routine upkeep to include, but not limited to, the lubrication of moving parts, checking electrical systems, and patching of roofs.” Examples of routine maintenance are changing light bulbs, repairing dripping faucets, or changing air filters on heating/air conditioning systems. Examples of chargeable or non-routine work include installing an additional electrical outlet, re-keying an office door, specialized cleaning or any work performed for an auxiliary.

Is there a general rule of thumb used to determine who pays for service?

Generally, Facilities Services is funded to maintain components of E&G facilities that could be used by any academic or administrative department if the facility were to change hands. If the equipment or work in question does not meet this test then it is the department’s responsibility to pay for the particular service. E&G space is defined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board as “space used for teaching, research, or the preservation of knowledge, including the proportional share used for those activities in any building or facility used jointly with auxiliary enterprise, or space that is permanently unassigned.” University E&G space is supported by state appropriations.


UES calculates utility commodity rates annually and charges customers monthly for commodities based on actual consumption, space allocation, and approved cost recovery rates. Auxiliary enterprises (such as Res Life, Athletics, Transportation, etc.) and Agencies (such as TEES, TEEX, HSC, etc.) are directly billable.

What services are excluded from Facilities Services funding?

There are a variety of facilities and equipment within E&G buildings that are excluded from Facilities Services funding. These exclusions include, but are not limited to, the following: laboratories and associated equipment, inventoried equipment, carpeting and draperies, and movable classroom seating. Also excluded from Facilities Services funded services are facilities with other sources of funds, or self-supporting enterprises, such as residence halls and auxiliaries.

What can I do if I have a question regarding funding responsibility?

If the above guidelines do not address your particular situation or a more detailed explanation is desired, please contact the AggieWorks Center at or 458-5500.

Who do I talk to about the charges for the services I received?

Please contact the AggieWorks Center at or 458-5500.

Are construction and supplemental maintenance construction services available for hire?

In addition to the services supported by Facilities Services budget, other services are available for hire. This type of work can be performed with in-house labor or through other resources. Examples of these departmental services include routine or special maintenance service to non-E&G facilities, alterations and improvement work in laboratories and associated equipment maintenance and repair, departmental inventoried equipment and maintenance and repair or replacement of carpeting and draperies.

Charge-out Rates

What are the hourly charge-out rates for Maintenance, Grounds and Custodial?

CPI Rate Change 

2020 Straight Time

Foreman  $37.65
Painter  $23.32
Electrician  $30.92
HVAC  $30.48
Carpenter  $26.90
General Maintenance I  $23.32
General Maintenance II  $28.70
Locksmith  $26.90
Roofer  $25.11
Licensed Trades  $41.97
Plumber  $26.90
Custodian  $19.58
Road Repair General Labor*  $29.01
Road Repair Supervisor*  $34.82
Irrigation  $31.72
Warehouse Markup  $21.52
Landscape Supervisor*  $30.29
Landscape*  $25.46
Commercial Pesticide Applicators**  $31.72
Graphics Price Per Job
* Plus equipment, if needed
**This will include product for routine type applications



How do I report a problem with an elevator?

If an elevator is not operating and someone is inside, please contact the Communications Center at 979-845-4311. For all other elevator repair request, please submit through AggieWorks.

Key / Access Control

How do I get a key?

The University has a key control program. Generally, a key must be requested by an employee that has been given key authorization for your department or work area. If you have key authorization submit a request through AggieWorks.

Who do I contact if I’m locked out? (Or How do I get into a locked room or building? Or How do I get a door unlocked?)

If you are locked out due to locking a key inside of the office, contact the building proctor.  If you cannot gain access to a room due to not having a key, submit a request through AggieWorks.  If you cannot gain access after hours, contact the Communications Center at 979-845-4311.

What do I do if I’ve lost my key?

Immediately contact the key representative for the department. 

What is the cost for a new, replacement, or duplicate key?

The cost of the key depends on the type of key, all keys range from $2 to $5, this applies to duplicate keys as well.

Can I go somewhere else to get a key made?

All requests for building keys must be submitted through AggieWorks.

How do I get a replacement access card?

All requests need to go through AggieCard at the General Services Complex.

Who do I contact if I’m having trouble with a lock, hinges, or other hardware?

Submit a request through AggieWorks.

Work Request Priority Guidelines

How are work requests prioritized?

All work requests will be prioritized by the Work Order Control Center according to the nature of the problem. The purpose of the Work Request Priority Guidelines is to:

  • Provide a system to prioritize the use of limited staff and financial resources.
  • Provide fair and equitable treatment of all customers.
  • Allow the orderly, timely and efficient accomplishment of facilities work.


When a work request is received at the AggieWorks Work Control Center Help Desk, it is assigned to one of four (4) priority levels. Within each priority level, work is assigned primarily on a first-in, first-out basis, subject to efficient coordination of work and availability of parts. As requests are received, they will be scheduled according to the following priorities: Priority 1 / High, Priority 2 / Medium, Priority 3 / Low and Priority 4 / Scheduled.

What type of request is classified as a High Priority?

PRIORITY 1 / HIGH: Emergencies are situations which pose an immediate threat to personal health or safety or of major damage to buildings, equipment, or other property. Emergencies are immediately assigned to the responsible trades technician or supervisor. Off-hours emergencies are referred to the Communications Center, who will notify the on-call technician or others as appropriate for the situation. Generally, response time should be expected to be within 1 hour, depending on the nature of the request. The following problems are classified as emergencies:

  1. Smoke or natural gas smells
  2. Hazardous material spills
  3. Loss of water in residence halls or kitchen
  4. Exposed live electrical wires
  5. Major water leaks
  6. Compromised security of buildings
  7. Power outage in occupied buildings
  8. Stopped up shower or sink in residence halls
  9. Clogged toilet, except where it is one of several
  10. Non-functioning cooler or freezer with perishable products
  11. Situations that interfere with building entrance or egress
  12. Shattered windows
  13. Conditions that immediately affect an academic, administrative, or research service in progress, the nonresolution of which would require the activity to stop. For example, an outlet without power (where only one is available), inoperable doors, non-operating elevators.

What type of request is classified as Medium Priority?

PRIORITY 2 / MEDIUM: Work orders considered to be important in nature but not urgent or an emergency. These will be completed within 2-5 working days of submission. Priority 2 work orders for the residence halls and kitchen will take precedence over others of the same priority.

  1. Conditions that represent a potential safety or health hazard — danger, damage, or breakage that is not an immediate hazard but could become so with continued use or stress. For example, a loose handrail, loose doorknob, damaged stair tread, or cracked door glass (could move to high, depending on location and risk of danger).
  2. Nuisance conditions that do not require extensive work but which, if not remedied, would reflect poorly on Facilities Operations – for example, paint offensive graffiti, follow-up of one trade’s work by another trade, etc.
  3. Valid, dated requests by customers, which must be completed by a certain date.
  4. Debris or garbage accumulations.
  5. Work that can be worked into existing schedules.
  6. Student Damage Work Orders.

What type of request is classified as Low Priority?

PRIORITY 3 / LOW: Tasks that do not pose a threat to life, property, research, or of serious disruption to the operation of the University. These requests are put in the job queue and are processed in the order in which they are received. Large-scale work requests are treated as projects; they may require several months to complete. Small repairs are normally done within 5-7 days of being put into the job queue, but availability of materials and unforeseen problems could delay completion. Jobs related to specific events require adequate lead time to be completed on the date requested.

  1. Work that represents most routine maintenance.
  2. Resolution of “temporary fixes.”
  3. Work identified by building surveys, tours, or area coordinators, other than long-range or major improvements.
  4. Something to beautify and/or enhance the higher education experience. There is not risk of physical harm or immediate infrastructure deterioration. Minimal negative consequences for not completing it.

What type of request is classified as Scheduled Priority?

PRIORITY 4 / SCHEDULED Priority is assigned to requests by schedule for a variety of reasons. Examples of these are work which is important, but which may not qualify as urgent, work requiring special scheduling or coordination e.g., repairs to classrooms; event set-ups. Generally, responses are scheduled with appropriate TAMU personnel.

  1. Work that represents improvements or additions to facilities such as building shelves, installing air-conditioning units or work covered by most service requests.
  2. Work that requires outside vendors, contractors, or procurement of materials (not off-the-shelf items).
  3. Work that requires a coordinated and planned schedule between a client and shop(s).
  4. Work that can be programmed for the next season.
  5. Work that can be scheduled for periods between semesters.
  6. Work that has been identified in advance but cannot be done at the time of identification because the affected facilities or space is in use.
  7. Jobs that require several shops and long-range planning.

Any request for facilities modification, renovation or change in use may be assigned to the Engineering Design and Construction Services Department and placed in the requested project queue, depending on the time and funding level required. The requestor will be notified within 5 days of assignment to a project manager.

What is the Preventative Maintenance Program (PM)?

The Facilities Department is committed to an extensive Preventive Maintenance (PM) program. The PM program utilizes a computer database to generate work orders for inspections, lubrications and minor adjustments to critical equipment throughout the campus comprising the major building systems, including; lighting, plumbing, pumping, and environmental systems. The purpose of the PM program is to reduce breakdowns, increase the useful life of equipment and provide the comfortable and safe environment that staff, faculty and students have come to expect. While mostly unnoticed, the PM program is an integral part of Facilities’ services and helps reduce trouble calls. Generally, the same facilities staff that complete PM tasks also respond to work requests.